Use Google Analytics to track visitors from your mailings
Oppdatert på 26. okt 2021
You can track the people visiting your website as a result of them reading your mailings by using the Google Analytics feature in SuperOffice Marketing. In this how-to guide you’ll learn how to track your visitors.
Google Analytics is the most popular digital analytics software available. By tracking how website visitors find and use your website, the service provides your company with useful insights that help you improve the success of your online marketing strategies.
Tag your mailings
By default, Google Analytics does not identify visitors coming from specific mailings. You have to add a tag to the links in your email to be able to:
- identify which links your recipients have clicked,
- see which website pages they visited once they landed on your website.
When you add a link to your website in your mailing without a tag, you’ll see that your visitors come from a mailing, but you won’t know which specific mailing. As a result, you are left in the dark about how the recipients of specific mailings behave on your website.
The Google Analytics feature in SuperOffice Marketing identifies your mailings in the reports. By adding a unique tag to all the links you use in your mailing, Google Analytics will recognise your mailing as the source where the website visitors come from. Google Analytics also gives you insight into the visitors’ path through your website.
How to add your Google Analytics tag to a mailing
To use the Google Analytics feature, you need a Google Analytics account connected to your website.
If you don’t have a Google Analytics account, go ahead and create a Google Analytics account and install the tracking code on your website.
The Google Analytics tracking must be set in the first step of for every mailing you create.
Follow these steps:
- Start by opening the mailing you want to track with Google Analytics or create a new mailing. Go to the first step of the mailing wizard, Setup. Here you’ll find the heading Tracking in the bottom right corner. Here you can check the boxes Track all links and Use Google Analytics. When you check Use Google Analytics, the Google Analytics text fields will appear.
Check these boxes to track links and use Google Analytics
- In the Google Analytics tracking fields, “Email” is pre-defined as the medium. This means that tracked mailings sent from SuperOffice CRM are now found in Google Channel reports under Email rather than Other.
To identify a specific mailing as a source, the fields for Source and Campaign also need to be completed.
In the Source field you can add the source of your website traffic. Here you can choose to use the different E-marketing subscriptions, like, for example, Monthly newsletter, Promotion mailing, etc.
In the Campaign field you can enter the name of the campaign you are running. This will make it easier to track and report the results of the mailing you’ve sent out. Here you can enter campaign names, like, for example, Christmas sales campaign or Autumn sales campaign, etc.
- Once you’ve set up all the details you want to use to track your mailing in Google Analytics, you can follow the steps of the mailing wizard. Click Next to choose your template, add content, add recipients and send your mailing.
All the links you add in the third step, Content, will automatically be tracked because you’ve turned on the Google Analytics feature. As soon as your recipients click on the links to your website, you can track their visits to your website in Google Analytics.
How to check your mailing’s results in Google Analytics
You can check the results of your mailings by logging in to your Google Analytics account. Your mailings should be visible in the Google Channel reports under Email.
Note: Please allow Google Analytics some time to process your tracking information. Your mailing source may take somewhere between 1-24 hours to register in your reports.
Fant du denne informasjonen nyttig?
I denne artikkelen