We recently updated all customers we host to SuperOffice 9.2 R7, when we first saw that no errors related to XSRF issues/threat aborted were being logged, we saw it as a good sign, but after a while we didn't saw any error being logged which is a bit strange. I enabled "LogWarning" and "LogInformation" on a test environment which we already upgraded to 9.2 R7 and the only log file being created was from the CDD component.
As test I installed a SuperOffice enviroment with version 9.2 R3 and enabled "LogWarning" and "LogInformation", log file was created correctly in the log folder. Next I upgraded the environment to 9.2 R7, after that no logs are created anymore, even when I enable options like "EnableScaffolding" or "LogServiceCalls".
Note: When I enabled "LogToEventLog" there are log entry's created in the event log.